Friday, June 10, 2011

Saving turtles

Apparently it's standard practice in my part of the world to save a random painted turtle while crossing the street.
I personally have done this once in my life. It is very important to note that when saving such turtle, you carefully place it on the other side of the road from which you found it. That way it can continue on it's original path.

This morning, when I was turning off my road with the kids we saw a man stopping traffic with his two bare hands in order to save a turtle who had just begun his journey across a very busy road during rush hour. Both my kids were so interested in what he was doing to save the turtle that on the way home tonight Aidan asked me if I too would save a turtle if I saw it crossing the road. My answer was in fact the story of my own turtle save. He said when he gets bigger and can drive he will save a turtle that is crossing the road too.

I guess I can count that as a life lesson in karma!

1 comment:

  1. Karma indeed! You crazy turtle saving Healeys! One time Wade walked a runaway Doberman back to her house after she tried to attack me in my front yard. I guess that's not the same thing, huh?

    ReplyDelete